The time has come! I would like to thank David once again for nominating me. If you haven’t already, go check out his blog!
The rules: write 11 facts about yourself, answer 11 questions, and pay forward by posting 11 new questions and nominating bloggers to answer them. Simple, isn’t it?
11 Facts about Alice:
- My real name is not Alice. It is close enough, but it’s a Slavic name which is hard to remember and pronounce properly, so I stick with Alice. Do you know Alice in Wonderland? Well, she has been translated to Polish using my name, so I take it is legit.
- I am an expat, meaning, I temporarily live in a foreign country. I am from Poland, and I live in the Netherlands. This temporariness is already lasting for about 4.5 years and will most probably go for another two or so, but I have not yet made a decision whether I am staying or not. Time will tell.
- I like running, but I also play video games and dance. Recently I am learning modern dance, but I am a bellydancer. Tribal fusion bellydancer.
- In 2012, I won the World Championship in the iGEM competition with my university team. However, I am not a biologist.
- I like cooking and I cook for myself every day. And I always try to make my food pretty. I eat almost everything, but I can’t withstand spicy food, I am superbly sensitive to capsaicin.
- Cheese is my heroin.
- I am very clumsy, weak and inflexible. For a long time I am trying to work on it, but because I never took it serious enough, the effects are mediocre. Maybe this time I’ll do better.
- My favourite animals are elephants, but I actually donate to save the seals from the North Sea. There is a seal shelter close to where I live and I visit them couple times a year, and I support them when I can. If you want, you can adopt a seal or donate yourself.
- I am not very good with people and I have slight OCD.
- Even though my eyesight can still be corrected with lenses/glasses at the moment, I will need a surgery in the future or I will become legally blind (very strong myopia + cataract).
- I used to work as a graphic designer at a TV, what left me with high appreciation for good design and utter hatred for Comic Sans.
11 Questions from David:
- What was the happiest moment of your life?
There were many happy moments (including winning iGEM or graduating cum laude with my MSc), but I do hope the happiest is yet to come.
- Who would you like and hate to see naked?
Love: my future husband. After I meet him.
Hate: no one, really. I work in the medical field, naked people are a normal thing to me. If anything, I dislike seeing the crippled and mangled bodies, but not because I hate to see it, but I don’t like the fact that someone has been through such misfortune.
- What is your earliest memory?
Sitting on the porch of my grandma’s farm house and watching ducklings.
- Who is the most famous person you have ever met?
I sang in the choir for the Pope.
- To what would you like to devote more time?
My core muscles. And I would like to find some to go back to playing guitar.
- If you were directing a movie about yourself, who would play you?
Probably JLaw, similarly to how she played in Silver Lining Playbook. She has my skin – pale and full of dark dots. We are not alike at all, though.
- What is the most recent book you read?
The Cosmic Landscape by Leonard Susskind. I didn’t like it. Now I am reading The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell and I like it far better.
- Where would you like to be in 10 years?
Living somewhere close to the sea.
- Where is your favourite place in the world?
I don’t know if there is one I could pick, but I guess I am still to find one. South of France has a good chance becoming it.
- What’s the most terrifying situation you have ever been in?
Moving to a foreign country. Still terrified, after over 4 years.
- What is your religion/philosophy of life?
I was raised Roman Catholic, and I do consider myself Christian, but not very hardcore. I believe in God, and I try to live by The 10 Commandments, but there are things of the Catholic Church I just can’t accept.
My philosophy is: there is no greater power in the universe than Love. Everyone deserves it and everyone needs it.
So, that was it. Now you know far more about me then you used to!
And here go the 11 questions from me:
- Are you a morning person or an evening person?
- Why do you blog?
- If you would know you were going to die in 72 hours, what would you do?
- What was your first job?
- What is your favourite animal?
- If given 1 million dollars to spend within 24 hours, what would you do with it?
- What was the greatest challenge you have ever overcome?
- If you were to choose one famous person to have dinner with, who would that be?
- What thing from your past do you regret the most?
- What thing are you most proud of?
- Are you scared of spiders, bugs, or any other creatures?
There you are, I am waiting for your answers!
My iGEM friend Nisa
My dear sister Maria
Theresa from The Road to Copley
A great person and a great runner, Babeta
Chelsea from Running & Ranting
And Will Runner
Have fun and pay it forward!